What Are Nootropics?
Nootropics supplements are referred to as smart drugs, memory or intelligence enhancers. These pharmaceutical supplements are used to improve an individual’s cognitive function and mental health. The supplements were first discovered in the early 1960’s and have constantly been improved through vast scientific research.
The array of nootropics is very broad and includes compounds such as:
- Racetam – These compounds work by increasing the levels of neurotransmitters and other chemicals required for optimum brain function. This class of nootropics includes substances such as Piracetam, Aniracetam, oxiracetam, Pramiracetam, Sulbutiamine and many more.
- Choline – These compounds are found in stacks of racetams like the anaricetam and piracetam. Taking choline will increase production of acetylcholine neurotransmitter in the brain. Studies done on these compounds show that supplementation of the product improved performance on brain memory tests and social behavior. Choline also plays a vital role in the producing phospholipids which are incorporated into the cell membranes of our brains for protection.
- Pyritinol – This compound has an anti oxidant effect to the brain for supporting its long term health. However, its main aid is improving glucose intake during mental strains allowing you to have longer alertness and focus.
Science Behind Nootropics – How It Works?
The supplements have a stimulating effect on ones brain by increasing the oxygen supply and nutrition. This makes the brain more active and productive. The entire process of increasing concentration is obtained using substances that are active on the brain. The substances do not instantly increase your IQ after consuming them but will boost your brain functions and make you smarter.
Below are some different ways on how Nootropics work
By increasing production of various neurotransmitters.
What are neurotransmitters? Well, these are nerves or neurons in your brain that are connected using synapses. The function of these neurotransmitters is to communicate and work together to send electric signals to the brain for it to perform a desired function. When the neurotransmitters are able to send signals more efficiently, you shall experience better memory, improved concentration and increased processing ability for mental work.
With continued use of these supplements, your neurotransmitters will continue working efficiently leading to improved mental health and functioning of your brain making you look more smarter.
An other way that nootropics make you smarter is by increasing vasodilation. This means that they increase blood flow into your brain. And with increased blood flow in the brain, your brain acquires more nutrients, oxygen and glucose (the main energy source used by the brain for long duration of focus).
Scientific studies show that the brain requires a lot of energy to perform its functions effectively and sustain consciousness to the external environment. Thus, if enough energy, oxygen and nutrients are supplied to it, the brain optimizes its functions.
Neuro-presevation and protection
These smart drugs also have a direct affect on the brain chemicals which are associated with slowing down the aging process. Studies show that some nootropics increase nerve growth factor and brain derived neurotrophic factor to enhance growth of neurons and neuritis while slowing down the rate of damage as well. As time goes, this potentially slows down the signs of aging such as loss of memory and counters some brain disorders.
Are Nootropics Healthy?
A lot of debate has gone around regarding the use of these compounds. However as of today, there are no known side-effects regarding their usage. Therefore, nootropics are undoubtedly healthy to use. In addition, these substances occur naturally and have little or no toxins that can be harmful.
Pros Of Using Nootropics
- They help to increase and strengthen brain memory, ability to focus and learn.
- Slows down aging process
- Improved protection of the brain
- Better coordination of the mind and body
- Improved sleeping habits
- Reduces stress
- More stable emotions
- Improved blood circulation in the brain
Cons Of Nootropics
Although these supplements do not have any known side effects, this is not a valid reason for you to consume them recklessly. Always stick with the recommended dosage or as prescribed by your physician. Nootropics contain many natural and helpful ingredients but can be harmful if they are ingested in large quantities.
What you need to know when taking nootropics
- They are not food substitutes. It is important to eat a balanced diet in order to maintain good healthy and thus allow the nootropics to benefit the brain
- Exercise your brain. These supplements play an important role in enhancing your brain health but it should not stop there. You need to exercise your brain by doing puzzles, IQ tests and so on.
- Take care of your body
It is crystal clear that the benefits of nootropics outshine its cons. But, it is advisable consult your physician before introducing your body to the different types of nootropics in the market. In addition, it is also important to maintain a healthy lifestyle while using these supplements for you to achieve better results of improving brain health.